JFK Law Corporation is always interested in speaking to prospective lawyers, articling students and summer students. If you are interested in joining our team, please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com and we will review your materials.
Please do not send your application materials directly to individual lawyers, as our application system is centralized.
CURRENT POSITIONS AVAILABLE:
Negotiation, Consultation and First Nation Governance Lawyer
JFK Law Corporation is a law firm focused on delivering high quality legal services to Indigenous people, communities and organizations. We have offices in Vancouver and Victoria but serve our clients across Canada.
We are currently seeking a full-time associate to be based in our Victoria office. As a firm dedicated to serving Indigenous people, we strongly encourage Indigenous applicants to apply.
The successful candidate will assist the JFK Principals, senior counsel and senior associates to represent First Nations clients in negotiations, consultation and governance matters. This will primarily include work on:
- treaty negotiations and related negotiations,
- regulatory and consultation matters,
- other negotiations with all levels of government and industry, and
- governance matters under the Indian Act and under modern treaties, including land management, law and policy creation and other issues.
This associate is expected to work with a team but will also be able to work independently and take responsibility for leading on files and projects. Depending on the successful applicant’s experience level, this may include representing our clients in consultation and negotiation meetings.
Major areas of responsibility include, but are not limited to:
- Working with the senior lawyers in the firm to develop and implement strategy for our clients
- Working with clients to understand and address their needs
- Leading appropriate negotiations and consultation processes
- Assisting with day-to-day file management
- Participating in negotiations and consultation-related meetings
- Drafting proposals and language for treaty and other negotiations
- Assisting with regulatory and consultation-related matters
- Drafting consultation agreements, impact-benefit agreements and other agreements with industry and government
- Providing advice on governance matters under the Indian Act and modern treaties which may include drafting laws and policies, advising Band Councils on their duties as decision-makers and a variety of other governance matters that arise for our clients
The ideal candidate will possess the following experience:
- 3-5 years of experience in Aboriginal law, with a strong background in at least two of negotiations, consultation and governance, or equivalent experience
- Experience working for Indigenous communities or individuals preferred
- Strong writing and editing skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to work both with a team and independently
- Familiarity with consultation processes involving First Nations, government and industry
- Familiarity with regulatory processes at the federal, provincial and territorial levels
- Experience and knowledge of regulatory hearing processes would be an asset
- Participation in complex negotiations, including drafting of consultation agreements and impact-benefit agreements would be an asset
- Familiarity with the British Columbia Treaty Process or other modern land claims or self-government negotiations in Canada would be an asset
- Experience working for or opposite federal, provincial or municipal governments would be an asset
- Experience in the areas of environmental law, land use planning or resource management would be an asset
- Eligible to practice law in British Columbia as a member of the Law Society of BC
If you would like to advance your career with a progressive team that is passionate about making an impact and advancing the rights of Indigenous people, please email a cover letter and a resume by April 15, 2019 to firstname.lastname@example.org. Short-listed candidates will be contacted; others will be kept in our database for future consideration. Thank you for your interest in JFK Law.