- P 250-405-3571
- C 250-216-9798
- Legal Assistant Sukhi Phagoora 250-405-3469 email@example.com
- 816 - 1175 Douglas Street Victoria, BC V8W 2E1
Jaela practices Aboriginal law and environmental law, with a focus on consultation and accommodation, environmental regulatory matters and treaty negotiations.
Jaela has experience working with First Nations to protect their treaty and aboriginal rights and title in relation to lands and resources, strategic planning, water rights and governance. She has considerable experience in negotiations and alternative dispute resolution, and works with First Nations involved in the B.C. Treaty process, as well those with specific claims and Treaty Land Entitlement claims.
Jaela works with First Nations and First Nation organizations throughout British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan and the Northwest Territories. Her practice includes negotiations with the Crown and industry regarding mines, pipelines, marinas, land use planning, local government matters and strategic plans. Jaela represents First Nations in consultations on regulatory matters including in environmental assessment processes before the National Energy Board, and provincial and federal review panels. She has also worked on proceedings before the Supreme Court of British Columbia, the B.C. Court of Appeal, and the Supreme Court of Canada.
Jaela is an executive member of the Canadian Bar Association’s Environmental and Aboriginal Law sections and is presently co-editor of the CBA Aboriginal Law newsletter.
Before joining JFK Law, Jaela articled at the Alberta Environmental Appeals Board and the Alberta Court of Appeal. She also worked as an Environmental Regulatory Analyst, and was the former Executive Director of Lands and Resources and Economic Development for the Federation of Saskatchewan Indian Nations.
Jaela has volunteered internationally with indigenous groups in Central America and Africa, and is a member of Leaders for Environment and Development – LEAD International. When not practicing law, Jaela can be found running, cycling, and teaching yoga.
- Treaty negotiations
- Consultation on section 35 rights and title
- Environmental assessments
- Regulatory hearings
- First Nations water rights
- Clerkship – Alberta Court of Appeal
- University of Saskatchewan, LL.B., (distinction), 2006
- Called to the Alberta Bar, 2007
- Called to the Saskatchewan Bar, 2008
- Called to the British Columbia Bar, 2010
- Co-Counsel for British Columbia First Nations in B.C. Treaty process negotiations
- Counsel for British Columbia First Nations challenging mining developments in provincial and environmental assessment processes for inadequate consultation
- Developing measures to protect First Nations rights and title in local government and regional district decision-making
- Developing processes to integrate traditional knowledge into strategic land use planning for cultural and ecosystem protection
- Drafting consultation and accommodation protocols, impact benefit agreements for First Nations with the Crown and industry
- Drafting First Nations Land Code and Tax Codes