- P 604-687-0549 EXT 123
- C 778-240-4634
- Legal Assistant Maria Baracaldo 604-687-0549 EXT 117 firstname.lastname@example.org
- 340 - 1122 Mainland Street Vancouver, BC V6B 5L1
Katelyn’s Aboriginal ancestry is from the Nlaka’pamux Nation. She has been fortunate to have the opportunity to learn traditional teachings from her elders; in particular working with deer hide and the harvesting and processing of cedar for its many integral uses within her community.
Katelyn’s practice involves litigation, negotiation, research and strategic advice on Aboriginal rights, title and governance matters. Her experience includes preparing and speaking to a regulatory hearing; preparing judicial review materials on behalf of an Aboriginal community and to support consultation and accommodation processes and/or negotiations. She has appeared regularly in both Provincial Court and Supreme Court of British Columbia.
Katelyn worked with the Missing Women Commission of Inquiry while obtaining her law degree. During her final year at law school Katelyn completed an intensive term at Osgoode Hall and worked with the Native Child and Family Services of Toronto.
Katelyn’s interest in advancing Aboriginal peoples rights and interests extends beyond her work. She sits on the board of the Federation of B.C. Youth In Care Networks which serves youth in and from government care. In addition, Katelyn volunteers with the YWCA Aboriginal Mentorship Program, connecting urban aboriginal youth to community, culture, tradition and art.
- Indigenous law
- Consultation and Accommodation
- Advancing Aboriginal rights and title (in and out of court)
- BBA, SFU (2009)
- Juris Doctor, OHLS (2013)
- Juris Doctor, UVIC (2013)
- Called to the B.C. Bar (2014)
- Assisted in the preparation of a Federal Court application on behalf of a First Nation community to establish that the community is the proper representative to represent its members.
- Acted on behalf of a First Nation Community in consultations and accommodations with the government regarding their aboriginal rights, including forestry resources.
- Assisted an aboriginal community with assessing and preparing an aboriginal fishing rights claim.
- Counsel for individuals in Supreme Court and in mediations to obtain damages against insurance companies.