- P 250-405-1861
- C 604-351-2155
- Legal Assistant Kristina Banfill 250-405-2531 email@example.com
- 816-1175 Douglas Street, Victoria BC V8W 2E1
Keerit practices Aboriginal and natural resources law in JFK’s Victoria’s office. His focus is on the duty to consult First Nations with respect to natural resource project development.
Keerit assists clients with the regulatory issues of these projects, as well as the negotiation and implementation of any Impact Benefit Agreements or corporate transitions that may stem from these projects. Keerit has applied his knowledge and experience in several industries, including conventional oil and gas, oil sands, pipeline construction, transmission lines construction, mining, forestry and fisheries.
Keerit believes in providing clients a holistic strategy when dealing with natural resource projects by incorporating legal, business, and political analysis in a strategic, client-driven approach. Prior to joining JFK, Keerit worked in Calgary practicing Aboriginal law, and also worked in the oil and gas sector for a major Canadian energy company. In Alberta, Keerit assisted clients with consultation and regulatory issues regarding oil sands and SAG-D projects. This included guiding clients through the regulatory framework, negotiating agreements, and implementing agreements.
Outside of work Keerit enjoys playing and coaching soccer, biking, and learning to kayak.
- Duty to consult and accommodate
- Environmental assessments and regulatory proceedings
- Negotiation of Impact Benefit Agreements
- Economic Development
- Consultation/regulatory interventions
- Agreement implementation
- Called to the British Columbia Bar, 2018
- Called to the Alberta Bar, 2017
- Called to the Ontario Bar, 2017
- University of Alberta, J.D., 2014
- University of Alberta, M.B.A., 2011
- University of Windsor, M.A., 2009
- University of Western Ontario, B.A., 2008
Acted on behalf of First Nation communities in consultations and accommodations with the government regarding their aboriginal rights.
Appeared before the Provincial Court of Alberta and the Federal Court of Canada.
Assisted in the negotiation of Impact Benefit Agreements for clients in the oil and gas sector.
Engaged with regulators, proponents and the Crown on major project applications to ensure consultation and accommodation obligations are met.
Co-Founder of the University of Alberta Energy Law Club and University of Alberta Oil Sands Student Delegation.