JFK Law is always interested in speaking to prospective lawyers, articling students and summer students. If you are interested in joining our team, please send a cover letter and resume to HR@jfklaw.ca and we will review your materials.
Please do not send your application materials directly to individual lawyers, as our application system is centralized.
ASSOCIATE LAWYER – supporting Indigenous Legal Traditions in Litigation and Practice
JFK Law LLP is seeking an Associate lawyer with related experience and a strong commitment to Indigenous peoples’ self-determination and in particular, drafting Indigenous law and negotiations to achieve jurisdictional coordination. The candidate must be called to the Law Society of Ontario and committed to practice nationally. Ideal candidates will be familiar with litigation practice as well as Crown or Indigenous negotiations led by Indigenous peoples. Strong research and analytical skills are a must, and flexibility to travel is a necessary condition of employment.
If you have a desire to join a talented team of lawyers that are organized to provide fearless advocacy in a wide array of subject matters for sovereign Indigenous Nations we invite you to apply to work with us.
We are a law firm dedicated to systemic transformation of Canada’s legal system to advance Indigenous self-government and Indigenous led decolonization efforts. Our law firm of 26+ lawyers, serves First Nations, Metis and Inuit governments and their organizations in a wide variety of legal matters including litigation and negotiations of Aboriginal and Treaty rights, corporate law and solicitor transactions on behalf of Indigenous Nations, labour and employment law, health and child welfare governance and law-making within Indigenous inherent jurisdiction, environmental legislation and co-decision-making including Indigenous protected areas, as well as regulatory and administrative law.
This position requires a strong commitment to values of humility, respect, reciprocity, and courage amongst many other values required by our Indigenous clients as their lawyer, working within Indigenous legal orders, which are knowledge systems and ways of living and being strongly attached to a sustainable/spiritual relationship with the natural world.
JFK Law LLP has offices in Toronto, Vancouver, and Victoria BC and we are currently looking for an Associate to be based out of our Toronto office to help us grow our governance and litigation teams. We are especially interested in experienced lawyers joining us who serve our approach to law that is dedicated to foster well-rounded lawyers who are familiar and sensitive to the diversity of Indigenous legal traditions that created the rich and sacred tapestry of Indigenous territories that has sustained generations of Indigenous peoples.
A valid driver’s license is required since some of the work will be to remote areas that are not otherwise accessible.
Applications should include a cover letter, CV, and three references, and a brief writing sample. Please submit to: https://jfklaw.bamboohr.com/careers/23. Law school transcripts may be requested upon being granted an interview for this position.
Applicants are encouraged to disclose if they are from an equity-seeking group and/or if they are a citizen of an Indigenous Nation.
Deadline for Applications: March 10, 2023
Legal Administrative Assistant
JFK Law LLP is a specialty law firm founded in 2009 with offices in Victoria, Vancouver and Toronto. We strive to provide the highest quality of legal services across Canada, serving the needs of Indigenous people and others who seek assistance in the areas of aboriginal, public, constitutional, and environmental law.
This is a Full Time Position approximately 37.5 hours per week. This position will be a fully in-office position for the first 6 month probationary period, and then may integrate hybrid working arrangements that continue to support the in-office work as required by the firm. The position is located in our beautiful Vancouver Yaletown office. The Legal Administrative Assistant reports to the Firm Manager.
We are looking for a Legal Administrative Assistant to join our energetic and passionate team. This role is best suited to an individual that is motivated, organized, adaptable and takes initiative. The primary responsibility of this role is to provide administrative support to lawyers, paralegals and work with the legal support teams to ensure the seamless operation of the Firm.
This position provides opportunity for career development working with various lawyers’ administrative needs.
- Provide calendar management using Outlook and other work planning tools.
- Organize, maintain, and manage updates to an electronic and paper, Bring Forward system.
- Schedule frequent travel arrangements.
- Prepare monthly client billings.
- Manage monthly reconciliation of lawyer expenses.
- Scanning and photocopying all required documents.
- Draft, edit, format, organize and print correspondence, memos, reports, court documents, labels and other printed material.
- Organize and maintain client documents, pleadings, corporate records and various other briefs and reports.
- Organize, maintain, and manage complex electronic and paper filing systems, including opening, and closing of files.
- Arrange and prepare for meetings including document preparation, catering, and other logistics.
- Provide litigation support, including assisting with preparing specialized court documents.
- Interpret rules of court for various provinces and levels of court.
- File and coordinate service of Court documents.
- Coordinate with court offices to schedule appointments and arrange for trials and judicial review hearings.
- Assist with reviewing and assembling documentary evidence and managing complex evidence records.
- Other tasks as assigned to support the administrative team.
Requirements and Qualifications
- Graduate from an accredited Legal Administrative Assistant program.
- Minimum of 1-2 years’ experience as a Legal Administrative Assistant or an equivalent combination of experience.
- Excellent technical skills and exceptional attention to
- Excellent organizational and teamwork skills.
- Ability to manage, organize and prioritize work independently.
- Adept at using Microsoft Office programs and Outlook 2010.
- Knowledge of iManage and PCLaw would be an asset.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, prioritize work effectively and meet deadlines which may change quickly.
- Motivated, independent, self-starter that takes initiative to complete tasks.
- Outstanding interpersonal, written, and oral communication
Covid Safety Requirements
Covid safety plans are in place, and we request that our employees are double vaccinated.
If you would like to advance your career with a progressive team that is passionate about making an impact, please email a cover letter and resume by January 27, 2023 to firstname.lastname@example.org
Applicants with Indigenous ancestry are strongly encouraged to apply. We thank you in advance for your interest. Short-listed candidates will be contacted; others will be kept in our database for future consideration. Thank you for your interest in JFK Law.