JFK Law is always interested in speaking to prospective lawyers, articling students and summer students. If you are interested in joining our team, please send a cover letter and resume to HR@jfklaw.ca and we will review your materials.
Please do not send your application materials directly to individual lawyers, as our application system is centralized.
Legal Assistant/Office Clerk – Toronto
JFK Law Corporation is a specialty law firm founded in 2009 with offices in Toronto, Victoria, and Vancouver. We strive to provide the highest quality of legal services across Canada, serving the needs of Indigenous people and others who seek assistance in the areas of aboriginal, public, constitutional, and environmental law.
This is a Full Time Position approximately 37.5 hours per week. This position can be a hybrid work from office/remote work arrangement with a minimum of 3 days per week in office at our downtown Toronto location. The Legal Assistant reports directly to the Director of People and Culture.
We are looking for a Legal Assistant to join our energetic and passionate team. This role is best suited to an individual that is motivated, organized, adaptable, and takes initiative. The primary responsibility of this role is to support two principals and an associate, and provide the general office clerk/reception duties to ensure the seamless operation of the Firm. This role includes working with the paralegals and legal support teams, as needed.
This position provides opportunity for career development working with various lawyers’ legal administrative needs.
- Provide calendar management using Outlook and other work planning tools.
- Organize, maintain, and manage updates to an electronic and paper, Bring Forward system.
- Manage monthly reconciliation of lawyer expenses.
- Prepare cheque requisitions
- Provide litigation, negotiation, and regulatory support, including assisting with preparing specialized court and agency documents.
- Organize, maintain, and manage complex electronic and paper filing systems, including opening, and closing of files.
- Draft, edit, format, organize and print correspondence, memos, reports, court documents, labels and other electronic or printed materials.
- Arrange and prepare for meetings including document preparation, catering, and other logistics.
- Organize and maintain client documents, pleadings, corporate records and various other briefs and reports.
- Assist with reviewing and assembling documentary evidence and managing complex evidence records.
- Coordinate with court offices to schedule appointments and arrange for trials and judicial review hearings.
- Interpret rules of court for various provinces and levels of court (e.g. BC Supreme Court, BC Court of Appeal, Alberta Queen’s Bench, Federal Court, Ontario Superior Court, Supreme Court of Canada).
- File and coordinate service of Court documents.
- Scan and photocopy all required documents.
- Schedule frequent travel arrangements
- Reception duties, including welcoming guests, answering phones, taking messages, and directing calls.
- Collect, sort, and distribute incoming mail and courier packages.
- Daily management of the physical office
- Setting up and cleaning up;
- Setting up and testing AV for meetings
- Order, stock, sort, and organize office supplies and manage inventory.
- Maintain general office tidiness. Make coffee, refill supplies, operate dishwasher, and clean up as needed.
- Other tasks as assigned to support the administrative team.
Requirements and Qualifications
- Graduate from an accredited Legal (Administrative) Assistant program.
- Minimum of 3-5 years’ experience as a Legal Assistant or an equivalent combination of experience.
- Excellent technical skills and exceptional attention to
- Excellent organizational and teamwork skills.
- Ability to manage, organize and prioritize work independently.
- Adept at using Microsoft Office programs and Outlook 2010.
- Knowledge of iManage and legal accounting software would be an asset.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, prioritize work effectively and meet deadlines which may change quickly.
- Motivated, independent, self-starter that takes initiative to complete tasks.
- Outstanding interpersonal, written, and oral communication
- Able to work under pressure and tight deadlines.
Salary range: $55,000-$60.000
This job description may change at the discretion of JFK Law.
Please apply for this position via BambooHR